Thursday, November 24, 2016

Dilemma Of Frame

So a year ago I had my be loved Mistress V1 aka Chromag Stylus stolen. And delayed getting a replacement till now.





Costs this time being a concern, meaning had to keep it in the dirt bag budget area. Which delayed looking at new through On One Bikes. I stalked the Pinkbike and Ebay looking for something that would meet requirements. But never found much, not even a old Stylus ever gets sold.

With winter I decided I needed a winter build project and a winter bike. Nicely timed to this was On One having a wicked sale. But this leads us to the Dilemma. That being go with the 45650B or the Deedar? Was already looking at a 650b frame anyways as would still allow me to use wheels I already have.



45650b


Raw   

Pros: can fit hubs I already have so don't need to acquire a new hub, has disc tab, takes a 1.5 steer tube, can build it up faster for earlier riding gratification, and can get it in the raw look for no extra cost.

Cons: Older design, No thru axle


Deedar







Pros: Newer design, 44 head tube allows me to run a 1.5 steer tube, drop outs can bne replaced. Shiny and newest edition


Cons: Need a 12x142 hub, so need to build a new rear wheel as can't run current QR wheels, Raw is $50 extra, no other drop outs available, and no earlier riding gratification.


And on one is having a sale where the Deedar and the 45650b are the same price $163.66.  Thus creates the dilemma......do I go for the new Deedar even though I have to get a 12x142 rear hub and build a rear wheel or go with the older 45650b and get riding sooner?

No comments: